Juniper Networks, Inc. (NYSE:JNPR)
Historical Stock Chart
2 Months : From Sep 2018 to Nov 2018
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, today announced a new software solution that gives service providers a near-limitless ability to cost effectively deploy new revenue-generating services at the network edge. Juniper’s new Contrail Edge Cloud packs the industry’s most functionality into the smallest footprint among competitors to bring a full-fledged secure cloud experience to the space- and power-constrained edge network, which includes base stations, hub sites and switching sites.
Insatiable demand for connectivity and a need to continually invent new revenue sources have driven service providers to decentralize their network architecture and move latency-sensitive applications and services - including connected cars, AR/VR and upcoming 5G services - from the core to the edge. While this part of the network serves as a key competitive asset that operators can leverage in moving beyond offering mere connectivity services, the edge also poses space, power, economic and management challenges that require rethinking existing cloud architectures to make service creation and deployment feasible. Deploying the same amount of hardware and software in every edge site that is deployed in centralized data centers would prove costly from both a capex and opex perspective.
Contrail Edge Cloud is the industry’s only production-grade solution that extends a full suite of orchestration, automation, security and analytics to the edge in order to deploy dynamic consumer and enterprise services in a cost and resource efficient manner. With this new solution that leverages the software-defined networking capabilities of Contrail Networking and Contrail Security with Kubernetes and OpenStack to provide advanced networking, Juniper has taken another step toward enabling a secure automated distributed cloud that provides operators a simple way to create, manage and monetize new services in preparation for 5G. As a champion of open source networking, Juniper has built Contrail Edge Cloud based on Linux Foundation’s open Tungsten Fabric project and continues to contribute to the Linux Foundation’s Akraino Edge Stack project to further the open cloud initiatives.
- Footprint-optimized distributed computing: Integration with Red Hat OpenStack Platform, a highly scalable Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) platform, with distributed compute, leverages many of the latest OpenStack capabilities to remotely manage the lifecycle of compute nodes and virtual machines (VMs) from a centralized data center, without requiring the footprint of co-located OpenStack control plane functions in each of these remote edge sites. This is critical in space-, power- and compute-constrained edge sites.
- Containers for faster time to revenue: Kubernetes provides the orchestration for the containerized applications. Containers running on a Kubernetes application platform will help service providers to increase the density of applications deployed on their platforms and be more immediately responsive to service provisioning and activation. Contrail Edge Cloud will be capable of supporting Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform and other Kubernetes distributions.
- Unified workflow, policy and service chaining: Contrail Networking with remote compute capabilities enables service providers to deliver a seamless network fabric between VMs, containers and bare metal servers from a single-user interface across physical and virtual environments. Contrail Networking translates abstract workflows into specific networking policies, simplifying the orchestration of virtual overlay connectivity across all environments. Fabric management capabilities automate policies and life-cycle management of each data center and edge site fabric. Contrail Networking provides connectivity and service chaining for OpenStack VM, Kubernetes containers and bare metal workloads without requiring the footprint of co-located control plane functions.
- Native security and microsegmentation: Contrail Security provides visibility, telemetry and network policy enforcement in a single unified mechanism for service providers that are increasingly deploying a mix of VMs and containers. It includes adaptive firewall policies and tag-based ability to enforce security policies across Kubernetes and OpenStack.
- Open source software-defined storage: Red Hat Ceph Storage provides massively scalable storage that runs economically on industry standard hardware and manages petabytes of data across cloud and emerging workloads. Red Hat Ceph Storage is tightly integrated with OpenStack’s modular architecture and components for ephemeral and persistent storage, offering a single efficient platform to support block, object and file storage. Red Hat Ceph Storage can also be used in hyperconverged deployments with the OpenStack platform for greater operational efficiencies, available as Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Cloud.
- Machine learning-based analytics: AppFormix provides machine learning-based performance and health monitoring to give health and service insights into workloads and deployments.
- Full-featured virtualized security: cSRX and vSRX deliver an industry leading container and virtualized security instance as part of the service chain.
“Service providers’ edge networks are beachfront property. As 5G and new applications such as IoT, AR/VR and connected cars all require extreme proximity to the end user, the edge will become ground zero to deploy virtualized network infrastructure, as well as to monetize new applications. Contrail Edge Cloud will greatly simplify the IT side of spinning up and managing these new services in a secure way. And what’s great is it isn’t just for network engineers. It also gives sales and marketing executives a way to get creative with agile new services, so businesses and consumers start seeing carriers as more than just connectivity providers. We are executing all of this in an incredibly small edge-friendly footprint.” – Sally Bament, Vice President, Service Provider Marketing, Juniper Networks
“The way people use the network and what they’ve come to expect is very different from just five years ago. Because of this, service providers are looking to transform many parts of their networks to satisfy evolving demand, and the network edge is key. However, it’s not as simple as just flipping a switch. In order to use the edge to deploy new low-latency services at scale in a cost-effective way, service providers need a simple way to fit all the orchestration, telemetry and security needed into a part of the network that’s constrained on space and power. Juniper Networks is giving telcos a huge leap forward in this area with Contrail Edge Cloud.” – Dr. Ray Mota, CEO and Principal Analyst, ACG Research
“With 5G connectivity targeting millions of sensors in addition to millions of consumers, service providers will need solutions that help manage networks. Red Hat is pleased to extend our collaboration with Juniper to develop and scale the intelligent edge, enabled by Red Hat OpenStack Platform, Red Hat Ceph Storage and Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform. Our work with Juniper is based on a commitment to open source technologies that helps to provide our customers with more choice and innovation, as well as validated solutions that can accelerate time-to-market during an organization's digital transformation journey.” – Chris Wright, CTO, Red Hat
- Blog: Defining the Edge – An Essential Part of 5G Transformation
- Follow Juniper Networks online: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Juniper Blogs and Community: J-Net
- Juniper 1on1 app: Keep up with all things Juniper from your smartphone. Download the app from iTunes and Google Play store today.
About Juniper NetworksJuniper Networks simplifies the complexities of networking with products, solutions and services in the cloud era to transform the way we connect, work and live. We remove the traditional constraints of networking to enable our customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure networks that connect the world. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Forward-Looking StatementsStatements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects, product availability, future products and expected performance, and expected benefits of our products to users, including programmability, performance, and cost benefits, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, incompatibility of technologies, the company's failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks' most recent report on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks' general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.
Juniper Networks, the Juniper Networks logo, Juniper and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Media relationsElliott BurrJuniper Networks(408) email@example.com